Re: authentication of multiple users for one mail server

Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, 08 Sep 2010 16:52:23 -0400, brownh wrote:
>
> (...)
>
>> When it comes to digging into exim4's configuration files, it all goes
>> over my head. But I gather from googling that exim4's default is to
>> route to only local mailboxes or domains. If that were do, I'd get
>> nothing out. In any case, I was unable to locate the variable and value
>> DCconfig_internet=1 in all the exim4 configuration files.
>
> I would take a look into Exim4 manual:
>
> 2.1. The Configuration System
> http://pkg-exim4.alioth.debian.org/README/README.Debian.html#id280581
>
> And also "man update-exim4.conf", more precisely to
> "dc_eximconfig_configtype" variable.
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

Thanks, Camaleón, but no luck. I carefully reread the Debian debconf
questions, and yet questions remain.

In the dpkg-reconfigure section one question asks whether to hide
local mail names. What shows up by default is my _local_ domain
name. I gather this hiding refers to what appears in the message
envelop, and so my intuition is that I would not want the local domain
name there. I changed the default to just the domain name. For
example, my current machine is teufel.historicalMaterialism.info, and
I changed this to historicalMaterialism.info. Was this a mistake?

Likewise, in an earlier question, I provide the system mail name. This
is the domain name used to construct addresses. However, here again it
the default entry was my _local_ domain name, but since I don't want
to have my addresses show the local domain name, I changed the default
local domain name to domain name. Again, I hope I did the right thing.

On the page for the IP addresses for which exim4 should listed, there
has traditionally appeared "127.0.0.1". With squeeze, however, it
shows up as 127.0.0.1 ; ::1 without explanation. What is this added
"::1" IP address? Or is it garbage that I should cut out?

I don't know if any of this has any relation to the SMTP
authentication issue. I understand that it is best to rely on TLS
authentication, which I'll try in the future, but this issue has
already interferred too much with important work, so must leave put
off the big challenge of TLS for the next time and cross my fingers
in the meantime.

By default, exim4 employs TLS authentication, and so disables AUTH
PLAIN and AUTH LOGIN. But it does not say what these entities
are. Variables given values somewhere? Apparently not. So what are
they? I can only guess the first has to do with plain text
authentication with the SMTP mailserver, but what is the second? My
fetchmail must logs into the mail server, but apparently not exim4.

Now, from a reading of the documentation, it appears that for any host
that is authenticated in plain text, I need to add the authenticating
information into /etc/exim4/passwd.client. That much is clear, but
then it says, "If you need to enable AUTH PLAIN or AUTH LOGIN...". Do
I need to do so simply because I'm using plain text authentication? Do
I need to do one or the other but not both? Since these entities were
not defined, I don't know if I need to do it, and further, I'm not
told what to do and where to do it.

Someone suggested I needed to change value of DCconfig, and you
suggested to change the value of dc_eximconfig_configtype, but neither
variable, if that's what they are, appear in the configuration files
for me to change. So I spent some time googling, and apparently the
proper variable is AUTH_CLIENT_ALLOW_NOTLS_PASSWORDS. I had to google
yet more to find that the value for this variable should be defined as
" = true". But further googling provided only a hint that it should be
placed at the top of the
/etc/exim4/conf.d/main/03_exim4-config_tlsoptions file.

So I tried it, and it didn't work. A messge from my new installation
of squeeze on one machine (user1@historicalMaterialism.info) cannot be
sent to the provider mail server and delivered from there to another
machine which has the user2@historicalMaterialism.info address. Exim4
simply complains I can't route the outgoing message. At this point, I
can only communicate from the first machine to the second by sending
messages to it to a couple other domain names that the second machine
happens to listen to.

Haines