Re: No icons, help.

On 9/7/2010 10:27 PM, Neal Hogan wrote:
On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 8:02 PM, Doug<dmcgarrett@optonline.net>  wrote:
I'm brand new to Debian, but not to Linux, altho I still consider
myself pretty much a newbie after probably 12 years or so(!)
(Slackware, RedHat, SuSE, PCLinuxOs, and a quick look at Ubuntu, Kubuntu,
and Puppy)  For general use recently I've been using PcLOs, (KDE 4.4.5) and
of course, Windows.

How did you interact with those (linux) distros?  It's difficult to
see that you found your experience with those distros that much easier
than your Debian experience.

I ordered and received the Debian LXDE version, and am presently
running the LIVE version, just to get a feel for things.  I will
have to install the program because I'm taking a Linux/Unix course
at the local community college, and the instructor wants to use
Debian.  Most of the time the class will apparently be using a CLI.
However, in the meantime, on my own time, I would like to be able to
use the program for other things.

How does one put icons on the desktop???

What desktop? Have you been using, in your extensive Linux experience,
Gnome, KDE, XFCE, blackbox, fluxbox, . . ., what?

The desktop I refer to is that big space above the system tray, (which
recent Linux distros call "the panel" for some reason). In all the other distros, it is easy to drag an icon from wherever it occurs and place it on the desktop. Or in PcLOs, you right-click on the program name in the menu, and you then have a choice as to whether you want to

Add to Favorites
Add to Desktop
Add to Panel

and you click on one, in my case, Add to Desktop, and the icon, or in this case, widget, goes to the desktop, and you can then move it where you want it, and use it. (This is in KDE 4.4.5.) Just like in the system that Xerox invented and Windows, Mac, OS2, and most other modern Linux's use.

I figured out how to do it in Gnome, which I don't like.  That was in
Ubuntu, I think.

I forget how I did it in KDE 3.5, which I used in SuSE 11.1, but it was very easy.

This is my first experience with LXDE, and it may very well become my last. I see that kde files are available in Debian's Synaptic.

As far as "downloading"--the correspondent is correct.  I use the
Synaptic program in PcLOs.  Firefox doesn't seem to be available in
Debian Synaptic. I don't know if it shows up in PcLinux Synaptic, since the distro comes with it already installed, as do most, apparently.

However, I believe it is still possible to download a file, untar it,
and install it. Without actually trying it, I would think that after
you had untared the file, you could find it in Dolphin (or whatever Debian uses to replace it) and copy the icon or widget to the desktop. One of these days, in the course of my night-school course, I will probably have the opportunity to do just that.

--doug
--
Blessed are the peacemakers...for they shall be shot at from both sides. --A.M. Greeley