Re: No icons, help.

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 8:02 PM, Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net> wrote:
> I'm brand new to Debian, but not to Linux, altho I still consider
> myself pretty much a newbie after probably 12 years or so(!)
> (Slackware, RedHat, SuSE, PCLinuxOs, and a quick look at Ubuntu, Kubuntu,
> and Puppy)  For general use recently I've been using PcLOs, (KDE 4.4.5) and
> of course, Windows.

How did you interact with those (linux) distros?  It's difficult to
see that you found your experience with those distros that much easier
than your Debian experience.

> I ordered and received the Debian LXDE version, and am presently
> running the LIVE version, just to get a feel for things.  I will
> have to install the program because I'm taking a Linux/Unix course
> at the local community college, and the instructor wants to use
> Debian.  Most of the time the class will apparently be using a CLI.
> However, in the meantime, on my own time, I would like to be able to
> use the program for other things.
>
> How does one put icons on the desktop???

What desktop? Have you been using, in your extensive Linux experience,
Gnome, KDE, XFCE, blackbox, fluxbox, . . ., what?

>And having downloaded
> Firefox (I think) how do I get it someplace I can use it?  I
> will also download Thunderbird, when I figure all this out. But
> first, the desktop is just wasted space if I can't put program
> icons on it.

I disagree . . . you can put a "cool" pic on it ;-)

> BTW, I ordered the CD because I could not make head nor tail of
> the Jigdo system. Somebody up at Debian HQ should look into that.
> If all the other distros I've tried can send zipped .iso files,
> I see no reason that Debian can't do likewise.

Have you read what "debian HQ" has put together at www.debian.org?
Look at Debian's install instructions.

> Hope I haven't ruffled any feathers, and thanx for your patience
> with an old-time newbie.  --doug

In the end, it's difficult to understand your situation and I suggest
that you look at the documentation on Debian's homepage.