Re: No icons, help.

On 2010-09-07 23:48:33 -0400, Doug wrote:
> On 9/7/2010 10:27 PM, Neal Hogan wrote:
> >On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 8:02 PM, Doug<dmcgarrett@optonline.net>  wrote:
> >
> >>I ordered and received the Debian LXDE version, and am presently
> >>running the LIVE version, just to get a feel for things.  I will
> >>have to install the program because I'm taking a Linux/Unix course
> >>at the local community college, and the instructor wants to use
> >>Debian.  Most of the time the class will apparently be using a CLI.
> >>However, in the meantime, on my own time, I would like to be able to
> >>use the program for other things.
> >>
> >>How does one put icons on the desktop???
> >
> >What desktop? Have you been using, in your extensive Linux experience,
> >Gnome, KDE, XFCE, blackbox, fluxbox, . . ., what?
>
> The desktop I refer to is that big space above the system tray, (which
> recent Linux distros call "the panel" for some reason).  In all the
> other distros, it is easy to drag an icon from wherever it occurs
> and place it on the desktop. Or in PcLOs, you right-click on the
>
> [snip]

Doug,

LXDE is made to be very "light". It's supposed to be fast for people
who don't want a lot of frilly features. I have the feeling that it is
not the right desktop for you, because you want a lot of features. If
you have already tried Gnome and didn't like it, then I suggest trying
KDE. It will have all of the desktop icon support you are looking for,
and will be familiar from your other GNU/Linux adventures.

You shouldn't need to download Firefox nor Thunderbird. They are available
as Debian packages, though with different names. Do these commands
in a terminal:

sudo aptitude install iceweasel
sudo aptitude install icedove

Or you can use synaptic and search for "iceweasel" and "icedove", if
you like using synaptic.

Phil