No icons, help.

I'm brand new to Debian, but not to Linux, altho I still consider
myself pretty much a newbie after probably 12 years or so(!)
(Slackware, RedHat, SuSE, PCLinuxOs, and a quick look at Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and Puppy) For general use recently I've been using PcLOs, (KDE 4.4.5) and of course, Windows.

I ordered and received the Debian LXDE version, and am presently
running the LIVE version, just to get a feel for things.  I will
have to install the program because I'm taking a Linux/Unix course
at the local community college, and the instructor wants to use
Debian.  Most of the time the class will apparently be using a CLI.
However, in the meantime, on my own time, I would like to be able to
use the program for other things.

How does one put icons on the desktop???  And having downloaded
Firefox (I think) how do I get it someplace I can use it?  I
will also download Thunderbird, when I figure all this out. But
first, the desktop is just wasted space if I can't put program
icons on it.

BTW, I ordered the CD because I could not make head nor tail of
the Jigdo system. Somebody up at Debian HQ should look into that.
If all the other distros I've tried can send zipped .iso files,
I see no reason that Debian can't do likewise.

Hope I haven't ruffled any feathers, and thanx for your patience
with an old-time newbie.  --doug
--
Blessed are the peacemakers...for they shall be shot at from both sides. --A.M. Greeley