Re: Unicode Character key-in problem

On Tue, 07 Sep 2010 22:44:27 -0400
Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net> wrote:

> On 9/7/2010 9:34 PM, Celejar wrote:
> > On Tue, 07 Sep 2010 09:01:11 -0700
> > Carl Johnson<carlj@peak.org>  wrote:

> >> Sorry, I was referring to the link to compose keys.  I haven't figured
> >> out how to use hex input for Linux (or FreeBSD).
> >
> > As Camaleón has explained, it's really pretty straightforward: press
> > ctrl-shift-u simultaneously, then release all three; you'll see an
> > underlined 'u'.  Now enter the hex code for the character, one digit at
> > a time, then press enter when finished.  Voila, you'll get the Unicode
> > character!
> >
> > Celejar
>
> This question brought up an interesting, and bigger question:
>
> In DOS and all versions of Windows, going back to the stone age, you
> could hold ALT and press 3 digits of the extended (128~255) ASCII
> table, using the number pad, and get all kinds of foreign and other
> useful characters. For instance, if you wanted a German ess-tset
> character, you would hold ALT and push 225, like this: ß.  I'm writing
> this from Win 7, and you can see that it works. It also works in Open
> Office in the Windows version. Something similar in MS Word--I think
> Word requires a 0 before the code.
>
> As far as I can tell, this does _not_ work in Debian or in PcLinuxOs,
> the two Lx's I have present access to.  Not in plain files like KWrite,

Did you try the method I gave above?  It's very similar to what you
describe, just much more powerful - giving you all Unicode, not just
extended ASCII.

> and not in Open Office. I don't understand what the above correspondent
> is getting at (I don't know what Unicode is).  How, in plain English,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode

It's rather overwhelming and confusing, but basically, it's a large set
of characters that includes all sorts of different alphabets.

> can one get foreign characters in Linux without using an international
> keyboard?  (I assume that works, as the international keyboard is a

Of course.

> choice in many distros, under Locale.)  Or is it basically just not
> possible?

Celejar