Re: Squeeze System "Bricked" after Software Upgrades 09/04

On 09/04/2010 02:00 PM, Sven Joachim wrote:
Well, if the disadvantages of vesa do not bother you.  It's slow and may
not support your display's native resolution, but it works for basic 2D.

I'm thinking I'll stick with vesa for now. And it does support this display's native resolution of 1024x768. The only slight drawback I have with it right now is that it seems to get a false start on loading the login screen, but then it comes up fine. Everything seems to work!

That's good, when I last had to use the vesa driver and watched a DVD
movie, I got warnings about dropped frames.  Well, that was six years
ago.

Everything should improve over six years. Well, everything except me, perhaps.

Just watch out for future kernels that may re-enable KMS, the vesa
driver is not compatible with that.  You will have to switch back to
intel (or fbdev) then.

I understand, I think. And switching back to intel or the framebuffer driver should simply be a matter of eliminating the little /etc/X11/xorg.conf file (or altering what's in it), I suppose.

Again, many thanks for your patience and expertise. Your posts are always a source of valuable information.

Regards,
Gilbert