Re: Squeeze System "Bricked" after Software Upgrades 09/04

On 2010-09-04 19:31 +0200, Gilbert Sullivan wrote:

> However, just as I was about to roll up my sleeves and really start
> messing the system up I got your response. I hadn't even thought about
> reverting to vesa using /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
>
> I decided to experiment. The system seems to make an abortive attempt
> at loading gdm with a different login background from the one I have
> designated, and then it succeeds! I'm able to boot using the new
> kernel! Is there any reason why I shouldn't just continue this way
> (using vesa)?

Well, if the disadvantages of vesa do not bother you.  It's slow and may
not support your display's native resolution, but it works for basic 2D.

> I can see that the system is slightly slower than it was, but it
> honestly isn't enough to bother me. I use these systems strictly for
> office applications, e-mail, remote access to other systems, and Web
> browsing. Obviously with no proprietary stuff installed I don't use
> them for watching movies or playing games online or anything like
> that.

That's good, when I last had to use the vesa driver and watched a DVD
movie, I got warnings about dropped frames.  Well, that was six years
ago.

> I'm thinking I should just forge ahead using the vesa driver and
> keeping up with the updates. Do you think that's a tenable approach?

Just watch out for future kernels that may re-enable KMS, the vesa
driver is not compatible with that.  You will have to switch back to
intel (or fbdev) then.

Sven