Re: samba: mounting as cifs not working (works in Windows though)

On 29/07/10 11:13 AM, Camaleón wrote:
On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 10:48:21 -0400, H.S. wrote:

Nothing in "dmesg"? :-?

nope.

"Permission denied" sounds a bit cryptic. I assume you are mounting the
share being "root".

Does accessing via nautilus/konqueror ("smb://192.168.0.8/share/") work?

Ha! Yes, it works with dolphin file browser (I am using KDE). I can browse the network, then browse samba shares and then when I click on the samba server, I can click on the shares, I am then prompted for a username and password, which are given and then I can browse the shared folders. This all works.

Perhaps I should just ditch mounting the share using cifs. :-?

I am not much familiar with samba clients. So I have this question in my mind now, what is the status of cifs at this time in Linux? Is it a popular option? I used to use smbmount in the past, but I gather that it is provided by smbfs and is deprecated or to be replaced by cifs?

ever having been read.