Re: No sound from Flash, but other methods work well

On 7/18/10, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> On 07/18/2010 04:05 PM, Florian Kulzer wrote:

>> [...]
>>>>

>>> Attached are 3 files.
>>>
>>> I'm sure it's relevant (and I deeply apologize for forgetting about
>>> this) that sound only plays *at all* when I've got this ~/.asoundrc
>>> file:
>>>
>>> $ cat .asoundrc
>>> pcm.!default {
>>>      type hw
>>>      card Device
>>> }
>>
>> Strace shows that the plugin does try to access ~/.asoundrc, but I don't
>> know what it makes of the information in that file. (I don't use
>> ~/.asoundrc at the moment.)

>>> I don't use PA.
>>
>> OK, I misinterpreted your earlier remark about PA.

>>> "none"
>>
>> That has been working for me for years.
>>

> As it does on "my" computer, which is 64-bit, Flash 1.0.r45 but with
> a "real" sound card.
>
>>> $ lsof +c0 $(find /dev/ -group audio)
>>> COMMAND        PID USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
>>> mixer_applet2 2193  ron   21r   CHR  116,9      0t0 3204
>>> /dev/snd/controlC0
>>> aqualung      3251  ron  mem    CHR  116,8          3201
>>> /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p
>>> aqualung      3251  ron    4r   CHR  116,8      0t0 3201
>>> /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p
>>
>>> $ lsof +c0 $(find /dev/ -group audio)
>>> COMMAND        PID USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
>>> mixer_applet2 2193  ron   21r   CHR  116,9      0t0 3204
>>> /dev/snd/controlC0
>>
>>> $ cat dsp.quiet.txt
>>>   lsof +c0 $(find /dev/ -group audio)
>>> COMMAND        PID USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
>>> mixer_applet2 2193  ron   21r   CHR  116,9      0t0 3204
>>> /dev/snd/controlC0
>>
>> Everything is normal with aqualung, but it looks like flashplayer does
>> not even try to play audio. On my Sid systems it is not bothered at all
>> by the fact that kmix has /dev/snd/controlC0 open, it simply uses
>> /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p and /dev/snd/timer as needed.
>>
>> You could run iceweasel under strace:
>>
>>    strace -f -efile -o iceweasel-flash.strace iceweasel
>>
>> Let a flash video play silently for a few seconds and then close the
>> browser. Afterwards you can check what has been accessed:
>>
>>    grep -E 'a(lsa|sound)|/dev/(a?dsp|audio|mixer|snd)'
>> iceweasel-flash.strace
>>

> http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson/iceweasel-flash.strace.grep.txt
>
> This might not be useful, since v3.6.4 uses plugin process separation.
>
>> Before you break out the big guns, though, you can try to set
>> ICEWEASEL_DSP to "aoss" (assuming you have "oss-compat" installed), or
>
> Didn't work.
> members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson/iceweasel-flash.aoss.strace.grep.txt
>
>> maybe installing flashplugin-nonfree-extrasound will help, or switching
>
> Didn't work either.
>
> http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson/iceweasel-flash.aoss.extra.strace.grep.txt
>
>> from flashplugin-nonfree to flashplayer-mozilla, or vice versa. (I did
> [...]

Sorry to be stubborn...  And this time?  The flashplayer-mozilla from
debian-multimedia has always worked for me on both both i686 and newer
amd64 boxes, including old boxes with just usb audio device.  The
amd64 unstable version of flashplayer-mozilla from debian multimedia
depends upon some ia32 libraries as of current unstable...  Right now
1:10.1.53.64-0.0 (i686) or 2:10.1.53.64-0.0 (amd64)...  I don't have
any other flash player supplier installed, just in case...

BTW, alsamixer only shows to me PCM and Auto Gain Control, and that
doesn't seem to be a problem...

Hope you find what's inhibiting flash to work on your box...  And
again, sorry to suggest something you already discarded given your
experience...

--
Javier.