Xorg vt07 is abnormal

Due to some unknown error to me, having quit my malfunctioning X, my
startx can't get into vt07 any more, but only into vt08.

I.e., CTRL-ALT-F7 gives me a black text screen, while CTRL-ALT-F8 is my
started X.

 startx -- :1

starts xorg in vt08 as well. If the vt08 is occupied, then I got the
following error:

$ sudo cat /var/log/Xorg.1.log
_XSERVTransSocketINETCreateListener: ...SocketCreateListener() failed
_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: server already running

Fatal server error:
Cannot establish any listening sockets - Make sure an X server isn't
already running

Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
         at http://wiki.x.org
 for help.
Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.1.log" for additional

(WW) xf86CloseConsole: KDSETMODE failed: Bad file descriptor
(WW) xf86CloseConsole: VT_GETMODE failed: Bad file descriptor

Also, under console doing "ps -eaf" doesn't show anything related to x.

How can I fix my current situation? Please help.

Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)