Re: No sound from Flash, but other methods work well

On 07/18/2010 03:54 AM, Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 18:41:35 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
On 07/17/2010 05:57 PM, Camaleón wrote:
On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 17:13:35 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:

On 07/17/2010 04:30 PM, Camaleón wrote:

Run "alsamixer" and check the volume for all the channels :-?

First thing I did.

Note, though, that for USB Audio there are only three channels: Bass,
Treble, PCM.

No "Master".  That may very well be the problem, but I don't know what
to do about it.

Yep, but having no master channel should also make no sound for the rest
of the applications and not just Icewasel :-?

It's quite bizarre...

Wait, is the USB device a headset or an external sound card?

Speakers.  But effectively big headsets.

                                                             I say that
beacuse of this:

http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en#hl=en&q=firefox+flash+headset+sound+linux&fp=6c67857170793776

They all reference asoundconf which has apparently been deprecated
for PA.

Maybe is not just Flash the only app having no sound in Iceweasel.

MP3s play just fine.

Knowing which audio devices are grabbed by which processes might shed
some light on the situation; I would be interested to see the output of

   lsof +c0 $(find /dev/ -group audio)

both when flashplayer tries and fails to play sound and when other
plugins of iceweasel do so successfully.

Attached are 3 files.

I'm sure it's relevant (and I deeply apologize for forgetting about this) that sound only plays *at all* when I've got this ~/.asoundrc file:

$ cat .asoundrc
pcm.!default {
    type hw
    card Device
}

Another test would be if killing the pulseaudio daemon makes the sound
devices accessible to flashplayer.

I don't use PA.

Also, which value of ICEWEASEL_DSP is set in /etc/iceweasel/iceweaselrc?

"none"

--
Seek truth from facts.
$ lsof +c0 $(find /dev/ -group audio)
$ lsof +c0 $(find /dev/ -group audio)
COMMAND        PID USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
mixer_applet2 2193  ron   21r   CHR  116,9      0t0 3204 /dev/snd/controlC0
$ cat dsp.quiet.txt