Re: No sound from Flash, but other methods work well

On 07/18/2010 08:09 PM, Javier Vasquez wrote:
[snip]

I have an USB audio device as well, one of those cheap ones, :-)  But
when there's no other sound device in the box, there's a problem with
them, because some applications do not look for secondary devices,
they just look for the first one (make sense that if there's no first
then there's no second).  But debian has its way of deciding things,
so the alsa team decided it's best to always set the usb devices as
secondary ones, never as first ones...  So to solve all problems I had
with usb audio devices, what I did is to comment out the trick debian
uses...

% grep usb /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
23:# Keep snd-usb-audio from beeing loaded as first soundcard
24:options snd-usb-audio index=-2

Line 24 of alsa-base.conf makes snd-usb-audio to get second, no matter
what...  That makes some applications blind to it...

What I did to correct that is to comment out line 24, as follows:

% grep usb /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
23:# Keep snd-usb-audio from beeing loaded as first soundcard
24:# options snd-usb-audio index=-2

Then I never faced usb audio devices problems again...

I actually did do something similar to that, and for exactly the reason you mention. That was my first hurdle. Flash is my 2nd.

$ grep usb /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
# Keep snd-usb-audio from beeing loaded as first soundcard
## But I *want* snd-usb-audio to be the first soundcard...
options snd-usb-audio index=0

--
Seek truth from facts.