Re: [Solved ??? Please do not follow web resources without checking]: Scim and iceweasel

Hi,

On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 08:56:13AM -0700, Kelly Clowers wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 07:54, H.S. <hs.samix@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 17/07/10 07:49 AM, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> >>
> >> Sourcing ~/.bashrc does not work for programs started by menu as I
> >> understand.  So this is not the best solution.
> >
> > Isn't the file read when one logs in to a DE? That is what appears to be
> > happening when I log in to KDE. Since I put those variables in ~/.bashrc,
> > scim is working flawlessly for me. But this may be happening due my
> > ~/.profile which sources .bashrc file. Sorry, I always get confused in these
> > files intended order/situations of reading (including ~/.bash_profile).
>
> .bash_profile is always read at login. .bashrc is often read at login as well,
> due to being sourced in .bash_profile, but not all systems are set up this way.
> .bashrc is read for every non-login shell that is started.

There were discussion how to initialize X environment. Debian is
different from RH.

Environment are set
1. PAM for gdm via /etc/environment
2. /etc/X11/Xsession with $HOME/.xsessionrc

Unlike RedHat, Debian do not source $HOME/.profile in obvious way as I
see.  (I did not check if $HOME/.profile is sourced somewhere but above
are the main location to set it.  Otherwise use hooks provided by glue
software such as im-switch or im-config run in /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/)

> Currently, my ibus env setting are in /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/

That is im-switch

> I think ibus actually set them up itself, as I don't remember doing it (I set up
> scim in /etc/profile, back when I used it, I think)

Are you sure you were using Debian ?