Re: [Solved ??? Please do not follow web resources without checking]: Scim and iceweasel

On 17/07/10 07:49 AM, Osamu Aoki wrote:

Sourcing ~/.bashrc does not work for programs started by menu as I
understand.  So this is not the best solution.

Isn't the file read when one logs in to a DE? That is what appears to be happening when I log in to KDE. Since I put those variables in ~/.bashrc, scim is working flawlessly for me. But this may be happening due my ~/.profile which sources .bashrc file. Sorry, I always get confused in these files intended order/situations of reading (including ~/.bash_profile).

In any case, I should have mentioned this, the main point my posting of the solution was that in a newly installed system, apart from installing those methods I just had to set those variables. It doesn't matter how one sets those (perhaps in /etc/profile), but without setting those scim did not work for me.

We as Debian puts glue layer for user.  Although you have power to
override it, please do not advatize methods which break thigs for

Well, I don't think these kind of warnings really have any meaning when it comes to looking who posts what on the internet :)

Don't get me wrong, I know where you are coming from, but posting one's experience, even if it may come from off beat path or from unusual recommendations, is really what makes the internet what it is: highly inaccurate, extremely helpful and quite interesting. What a mix!

Debian.  There are many documentation in /usr/share/doc/scim and
/usr/share/doc/skim .  Please read them.  If they are wrong, please file
bug report.

Thank you for pointing this out. Yes, I do refer to those docs. Didn't for this particular situation this time though. I looked them up again. They are excellent. To the future reader, to get scim working, the most important sections are "Locales" and "Using Scim" in /usr/share/doc/scim/README.Debian.gz.

While asking for help in this thread, I was hoping that I would not need to hack around various config file to get scim working. Looking at the readme file also made me recall wondering in the past as to why the heck do the kind of things like the following still remain, "...There is one limitation in SCIM, that you must tell SCIM the UTF-8 locale you want to use SCIM in..." *Mus*t I? If I *must*, and this has been like this for quite a while, why can't the package installer just ask for a default locale during installation?

And reading the file further is liable it make a causal user confused as to what method to choose. After some years of my first having read the file, nothing seems to have changed in this regard. I wonder how Ubuntu does this. Do they also want users editing system files after choosing one of the various options listed in the docs? Browsing the internet a bit, i looks like they solved the problem from Ubuntu 8.10 and beyond.

ever having been read.