Re: [SOLVED] switching to console and zapping

On Thu, Jul 01, 2010 at 01:34:54PM -0400, Stephen Powell wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 13:15:58 -0400 (EDT), lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks! I got it to work after configuring the keyboard. Though the
> > keyboard worked fine, it wasn't set up correctly, but since it is, I
> > can switch again.
> >

> I'm glad that you got it working, Lee.  Would you mind elaborating as
> to exactly how you did it?

Well, I changed the keyboard setting in xorg.conf:

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "kbd"
    Option         "XKBOptions" "ctrl:nocaps"
    Option         "XkbModel" "pc102"
    Option         "XkbLayout"   "de"
EndSection

I was lucky that the keyboard settings in KDE use setxkbmap with some
options when you enable keyboard layouts. That helped me to find out
that there's no 'Option "XkbVariant" "de"'. Once I got a good setting
playing around with that, I used 'xmodmap -pke' to create a keymap
which I edited to change the layout the way I wanted it. It's being
loaded from my ~/.xinitrc now.

> If I recall correctly, you had a 101-key IBM Model M keyboard, is
> that correct?

Aren't they 102 keys?

> In my humble opinion, this is the best keyboard ever made.

Yes, that's why I'm using them. There are just no decent keyboards
available, except those and, probably, the ones that are still being
built by Unicomp. Sooner or later, I might buy one of those new :)

> I've got a couple of them left over from old IBM PS/2 systems.
> The PS/2 systems are long gone, but the keyboards live on and on.
> I'll never part with them.

I wouldn't, either :) I've got only one now, but I'll get at least one
spare, or better several, so that I'll have a supply that will last
for my lifetime. And I don't understand why anyone accepts the junk
keyboards you get nowadays, they are totally unusable and are worn out
after only three weeks. And you can't type even half as fast on them,
compared to a model M. They are a torture.

> But I've never had any problem configuring them or getting them to
> work.

Well, they kinda work out of the box, but I had to use one of those
junk keyboards before I got my model M. I never bothered to get the
junk keyboard set up correctly. And before that, I was using an
American keyboard ...

> So far, I've been using hardware old enough to have a PS/2-style
> keyboard connector at the back.  But sooner or later I will be faced
> with the prospect of getting some type of PS/2 to USB adapter so that
> I can plug it in to a USB port and use it as a USB keyboard.

USB sucks for keyboard connections :(((( The one I had to use before
was an USB keyboard, and the responses to keystrokes were a hell of a
lot slower than they are now with the PS/2 connection. It might be due
to the keyboard, but I think it's an USB problem.

> (Also, being a USA user, I've never had to worry about
> locale settings, fonts, character sets, etc., for non-English languages.

You'll have to start thinking about that once you get email in other
languages :)