[SOLVED] switching to console and zapping

On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 13:15:58 -0400 (EDT), lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:

> Thanks! I got it to work after configuring the keyboard. Though the
> keyboard worked fine, it wasn't set up correctly, but since it is, I
> can switch again.
>
> I was thinking that there must be something configured to prevent the
> switching, but apparently there isn't anything to prevent it in the X
> configuration. It was only a misconfigured keyboard.

I'm glad that you got it working, Lee.  Would you mind elaborating as
to exactly how you did it?  (Or did I miss a post in which you
explained that, in which case kindly give me a link to the URL for
that post.)

If I recall correctly, you had a 101-key IBM Model M keyboard, is
that correct?  In my humble opinion, this is the best keyboard ever
made.  I've got a couple of them left over from old IBM PS/2 systems.
The PS/2 systems are long gone, but the keyboards live on and on.
I'll never part with them.  But I've never had any problem configuring
them or getting them to work.

So far, I've been using hardware old enough to have a PS/2-style
keyboard connector at the back.  But sooner or later I will be faced
with the prospect of getting some type of PS/2 to USB adapter so that
I can plug it in to a USB port and use it as a USB keyboard.  Was that
your situation?  (Also, being a USA user, I've never had to worry about
locale settings, fonts, character sets, etc., for non-English languages.
Maybe that was part of the problem?)

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :