Re: [SOLVED] switching to console and zapping

On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 09:39:53 -0400 (EDT), lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:

> Well, I changed the keyboard setting in xorg.conf:
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>     Identifier     "Keyboard0"
>     Driver         "kbd"
>     Option         "XKBOptions" "ctrl:nocaps"
>     Option         "XkbModel" "pc102"
>     Option         "XkbLayout"   "de"
> EndSection

Are you running Lenny?  I thought all that stuff was dynamically
sensed in Squeeze.  I thought that the version of xorg which shipped
with Squeeze would ignore any section specifying "kbd" as the driver.

> I was lucky that the keyboard settings in KDE use setxkbmap with some
> options when you enable keyboard layouts. That helped me to find out
> that there's no 'Option "XkbVariant" "de"'. Once I got a good setting
> playing around with that, I used 'xmodmap -pke' to create a keymap
> which I edited to change the layout the way I wanted it. It's being
> loaded from my ~/.xinitrc now.

> Stephen Powell wrote:
>> If I recall correctly, you had a 101-key IBM Model M keyboard, is
>> that correct?
>
> Aren't they 102 keys?

If I recall correctly, the US version has 101 keys; and the international
version has 102 keys.  The shape of the Enter key on the main portion
of the keyboard (as opposed to the numeric keypad) is the easiest way
to tell the difference.  The international version has a key cap for
the Enter key that has the shape of a backwards capital L.  The US
version has an Enter key with a rectangular shape.  At the risk of
boring you with mind-numbing detail, here is the physical layout of the
US version, which is the one I have:

Esc  F1 F2 F3 F4  F5 F6 F7 F8  F9 F10 F11 F12  Print_Screen Scroll_Lock Pause
` 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 - = Backspace  Insert Home Page_Up  Num_Lock / * -
Tab q w e r t y u i o p [ ] \  Delete End Page_Down  Home Up_Arrow PgUp +_(top_half)
Caps_Lock a s d f g h j k l ; ' Enter    Left_Arrow noop_(5_when_shifted) Right_Arrow
Shift z x c v b n m , . / Shift  Up_Arrow  End Down_Arrow PgDn Enter_(top_half)
Ctrl  Alt Space_Bar Alt  Ctrl  Left_Arrow Down_Arrow Right_Arrow  Ins Del

That's 101 keys.

> Stephen Powell wrote:
>> So far, I've been using hardware old enough to have a PS/2-style
>> keyboard connector at the back.  But sooner or later I will be faced
>> with the prospect of getting some type of PS/2 to USB adapter so that
>> I can plug it in to a USB port and use it as a USB keyboard.
>
> USB sucks for keyboard connections :(((( The one I had to use before
> was an USB keyboard, and the responses to keystrokes were a hell of a
> lot slower than they are now with the PS/2 connection. It might be due
> to the keyboard, but I think it's an USB problem.

I'm not looking forward to that.  :-(

> Stephen Powell wrote:
>> (Also, being a USA user, I've never had to worry about
>> locale settings, fonts, character sets, etc., for non-English languages.
>
> You'll have to start thinking about that once you get email in other
> languages :)

There's an old joke about that.

Q: What do you call a man who speaks three languages?