Re: suspend to disk unreliable?

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 18:22:48 +0200, lee wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 04:05:57PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:

>> Where did you get that steps to hibernate? :-?
>
> It's in the kernel dokumentation, see Documentation/power/swsusp.txt.

Then you should read about how to debugg "swsusp" when restoration
fails :-)

>> "man pm-action" will tell.
>
> Thanks! What's the difference between pm-hibernate and above method?

Dunno, as I already told you, there are severeal methods for sending the
machine to sleep. You should try all of them and choose the one that
works better for your hardware configuration.

> Since the relevant directories under /etc are empty, there doesn't seem
> to be anything special getting done when using pm-hibernate.

Try ;-)

At least you will get all the errors dumped into "/var/log/pm-
suspend.log".

>> It seems you are reading the wrong paragrah... you should be interested
>> in "s2disk", instead >:-)
>
> Yes, but doesn't the same apply when suspending to disk? The appropriate
> state of the graphics card has to be recreated in both cases.

pm-hibernate will care about that.

>> "man pm-action" then :-)
>
> Yeah, see above, what's the difference making pm-hibernate more reliable
> than what the kernel documentation suggests?

They are different methods. I don't know the insides, just test both and
keep the one that works better.

>> Why? Just take it as you need to read the docs, test and try.
>
> Well, I'm trying to figure it out and to get it working reliable, but I
> don't really know which docs to read.

The ones I already told you. Whatever method you are using to put the
computer to hibernate, you should debbug it if it fails. pm-hibernate
writes a log under /var/log/... the other ones I dunno.

>> Yes, but power management is managed different on every DE. In fact,
>> hibernation and suspension can fail on many systems as not every piece
>> of hardware has been previously tested and certified to perform well
>> with such actions :-/
>
> Meaning that it might not work at all with my hardware ...

Of course! Power mananer it's kind a lottery :-)

Almost any computer is certified to work with Windows but not linux so
hibernation and suspension workd like a charm on windows systems but have
some problems on linux systems. Manufacturers do not tend to certfy their
system for linux, so you have to test and try :-(

Greetings,

--
Camaleón