Re: suspend to disk unreliable?

On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 15:28:06 +0200, lee wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 12:00:51PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:

>> If you are not using GNOME, what is your DE, if any? and how do you
>> send the machine to hibernate?
>
> Currently, I'm using fvwm-crystal. The pm-utils package is installed,
> and now I installed and configured uswsusp.

And how do you suspend to disk? By pressing a button, running a
script...? You said in your first writing that "(sic) after suspending to
disk during the night and resuming..." you were having problems to
restore, so how did you triggered suspension? :-?

> Right now I'm asking myself exactly that question: Just how do I suspend
> to disk now?

By reading de docs? :-)

/usr/share/doc/uswsusp/README.Debian
/usr/share/doc/pm-utils/README

>> It's not a kernel task, but a installer task, I guess. Maybe you could
>> file a "wishlist" bug into BTS so developers can take this point into
>> account :-)
>
> When configuring uswsusp, it told me I can specify a minimum image size
> which will eventually be exceeded if necessary ...

That should be a feature of the "uswsusp" package, but AFAIK, that
package is not installed by default (at least I don't have it in my
system).

Anyway, I agree that the automatic installer should ask the user about
hibernation/suspend tasks and if the user wants to enable such option, it
should adjust the swap space to fit the power savings needs.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón