Re: suspend to disk unreliable?

On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 01:43:49PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 15:28:06 +0200, lee wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 12:00:51PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>
> >> If you are not using GNOME, what is your DE, if any? and how do you
> >> send the machine to hibernate?
> >
> > Currently, I'm using fvwm-crystal. The pm-utils package is installed,
> > and now I installed and configured uswsusp.
>
> And how do you suspend to disk? By pressing a button, running a
> script...? You said in your first writing that "(sic) after suspending to
> disk during the night and resuming..." you were having problems to
> restore, so how did you triggered suspension? :-?

As I said in a previous posting, I used:

# echo  8589934592 > /sys/power/image_size
# echo platform > /sys/power/disk; echo disk > /sys/power/state

Mow I'm wondering what to use instead.

> > Right now I'm asking myself exactly that question: Just how do I suspend
> > to disk now?
>
> By reading de docs? :-)
>
> /usr/share/doc/uswsusp/README.Debian

"
The s2ram tool allows you to suspend the system to RAM and restore the state
of the graphics adapter after the resume automatically.  For this purpose it
uses the code out of vbetool and radeontool utilities, needed for handling
quite a lot of graphics cards after the resume from RAM.
"

Then why doesn't uswsusp depend on either vbetool or radeontool?

> /usr/share/doc/pm-utils/README

"
How do hooks work?

* You put an executable file in /etc/pm/sleep.d.  When suspend or
  hibernate is called, several things happen:
"

So this readme doesn't tell you how to suspend to disk ... There's a
package "hibernate", but that seems to be yet another tool for the
same purpose.

/etc/pm/ is only a directory containing other directories.

Do I have to take it that there's no Debian way of suspending to disk
(unless you use gnome maybe)? It's a feature that should work out of
the box, like another option for the shutdown command ("shutdown -std
now", for example, to suspend to disk) ...

> Anyway, I agree that the automatic installer should ask the user about
> hibernation/suspend tasks and if the user wants to enable such option, it
> should adjust the swap space to fit the power savings needs.

It would have to do that not only on installation. What if you install
it and use it and then a year or half a year later you upgrade from,
let's say, 4GB to 8GB of RAM? You'd have to remember that at some
point, you had to set up the suspend to disk stuff according to your
RAM-size and adjust ...

--
27/06/2010 04:03:46 The X server says there are 10 mouse buttons.