Re: suspend to disk unreliable?

On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 13:37:30 +0200, lee wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 11:21:05AM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>>
>> You better read further info about suspend in Debian and what are your
>> options ;-)
>>
>> http://wiki.debian.org/Suspend
>
> Thanks, I'm checking it out right now :) Seems that you can't just
> suspend as described in the kernel documentation but need a number of
> scripts to do stuff first ...

Every hibernation/suspend methods have their own way to make things, so
the first you should do is knowing what method are you using to hibernate
the machine.

If you are not using GNOME, what is your DE, if any? and how do you send
the machine to hibernate?

> However, the documentation refers to using Gnome --- which I don't use
> --- and the preferred method being suspend to RAM. I don't want to
> suspend to RAM: What if the power fails? And why should I have to keep
> the RAM powered?

Suspend to ram is a different thing. Computer gets into a power-saving
state but is not powered off so a power failure will lead the machine
down.

You need to keep ram powered because all the processes of the computer
are dumped into ram... and remember ram is "volatile": if not powered, no
info can be stored and kept there :-)

> Is there a good documentation about suspend to disk for Debian?

I only found the above page :-?

>> Suspend to disk (hibernation) uses swap space to put the image data
>> there when you trigger the hibernation scripts, so you need to have
>> this value adjusted in order to success.
>
> That's what I mean: The kernel should set the default to the available
> RAM, if that much swapspace is actually required. I'd think the kernel
> devs would have made it so if it was really needed ...

It's not a kernel task, but a installer task, I guess. Maybe you could
file a "wishlist" bug into BTS so developers can take this point into
account :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón