Re: suspend to disk unreliable?

On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 12:00:51PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> Every hibernation/suspend methods have their own way to make things, so
> the first you should do is knowing what method are you using to hibernate
> the machine.
>
> If you are not using GNOME, what is your DE, if any? and how do you send
> the machine to hibernate?

Currently, I'm using fvwm-crystal. The pm-utils package is installed,
and now I installed and configured uswsusp.

Right now I'm asking myself exactly that question: Just how do I
suspend to disk now?

> You need to keep ram powered because all the processes of the computer
> are dumped into ram... and remember ram is "volatile": if not powered, no
> info can be stored and kept there :-)

Yes, that's one of the reasons I don't want to use that :)

> > That's what I mean: The kernel should set the default to the available
> > RAM, if that much swapspace is actually required. I'd think the kernel
> > devs would have made it so if it was really needed ...
>
> It's not a kernel task, but a installer task, I guess. Maybe you could
> file a "wishlist" bug into BTS so developers can take this point into
> account :-)

When configuring uswsusp, it told me I can specify a minimum image
size which will eventually be exceeded if necessary ...

--
27/06/2010 04:03:46 The X server says there are 10 mouse buttons.