Re: suspend to disk unreliable?

On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 13:11:06 +0200, lee wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 10:53:41AM +0000, Camaleón wrote:

>> Usually, "/var/log/suspend.log" but can vary, depending on the suspend
>> system you are using (GNOME default, swsusp, uswsusp, tuxonice...).
>
> Well, I was using:
>

> # echo  8589934592 > /sys/power/image_size # echo platform >
> /sys/power/disk; echo disk > /sys/power/state
>

> There isn't any suspend.log.

You better read further info about suspend in Debian and what are your
options ;-)

http://wiki.debian.org/Suspend

>> I selected an expert installation and custom partitionaing so I got no
>> advice, which is normal. But default installer and automatic
>> partitioning should indeed ask the user and if he/she wants to
>> hibertante the machine and adjust the amount of required swap space
>> accordingly. At least it should be nice to have such option, but dunno
>> if it's already present or not :-?
>
> Oh, I mean the setting in /sys/power/image_size. The kernel knows how
> much RAM is available and how much is needed to suspend to disk, so I
> wonder what the point of having a default of 512MB is and if that is
> adjusted automatically as needed. Or: What happens when the image_size
> is too small?

Suspend to disk (hibernation) uses swap space to put the image data there
when you trigger the hibernation scripts, so you need to have this value
adjusted in order to success.

What happens when the swap space is too small to fit the image? Dunno,
but I guess it will just fail and give the user the usual warning (on
screen, on logs...).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón