Re: Torrents killing my connection

On 06/20/10 23:10, ABS Doug wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 10:47 PM, Huang, Tao <debian@huangtao.me> wrote:
>>
>> you have no control at all on how the wifi hotspots were configured,
>> which is also the case of ABS Doug.
>> port-forwarding (or upnp) is needed for good torrents performance.
>> if the number of connections is not limited, the router resouces will
>> be used up pretty soon, especially on share hotspots.
>> downloading over http can be resumed smoothly after a networking
>> restarting, but torrents suffer more on this.
>
> I DO have access to the router, just not able to run a cable to it. I
> have the password & can modify settings as long as I'm not screwing
> anyone else in house.

I have used WR54G for some time. I do not recall having any issue with
it. But I was using it with a cable .... I have learned never to trust a
wireless connection for a sustained and reliable connection. Besides,
its stock firmware was quickly replace with an open source one, IIRC DD-WRT.

ever having been read.