Torrents killing my connection

I can't believe I'm still totally unable to figure out what is going
on here. Ubuntu Netbook Edition 10.04 was unable to handle downloading
torrents. The connection would drop. I tried every torrent client. I
tried lowering the connections. Nothing I tried worked. I ended up
downgrading to Ubuntu 9.10 (then called "Remix") & putting 10.04 UNE
on a small (now unused) partition. Strange thing is, while MS Windows
has a limit of 10 1/2 open connections (whatever that actually means)
that can explain why Windows XP has no problems, Ubuntu Netbook 9.10
does not have these limits & torrents work fine! After getting nowhere
with advice, someone suggested Debian stable. I knew Ubuntu was based
on Debian, but had never heard the term "stable/unstable". Once I
learned about Debian stable I figured was right up my alley.
"Unstable" sounds like trouble! After working out all the details of
Debian Lenny on my Acer Aspire One, I'm back to having the same
problem: with Transmission running, at some point, minutes, hours,
I'll loose my internet connection. I just received from a friend an
older desktop. I planned on installing Linux & running torrents off
it. Now I'm back to wondering why I'm not just putting a clean Windows
XP install & being done with it. A computer is a tool after all, not a
love affair. It's like Linux is this VAST toolbox with all these free
tools... except one of the tools I need everyday is broken, un-usable.
I WANT to love Linux... it runs great on my netbook. I have this
feeling Linux could turn out to be "important" one day & knowing how
to make it work could be a great benefit. As much as I never liked DOS
& don't care for terminal, I could see why learning the terminal could
be a real benefit. But I can't seem to make Linux do something I've
been doing for years with MS XP, easily. I'm sure it's something I'm
not understanding, but I've really done a lot of reading on the net &
I still don't have an answer. It would seem for the 1st time in my
life, I've reached a point were I can't figure something out. Here is
what I've tried:

-Lowered upload speed below 50% of total upload capacity (fail).
-Lowered the number of peers, both overall & per torrent, even "6" (fail).
-Confirmed /etc/resolv.conf is pointing to my ISP, not the router.
-Tried different bit torrent clients
-Debian stable (fail) UNE 10.04 (fail) UNR 9.10 (works) MS XP (works)
-Updated firmware
-Downloading only
-Uploading only

Equipment: WRT54G, Acer Aspire One