Re: Torrents killing my connection

On 06/20/10 21:55, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 06/20/2010 08:26 PM, Huang, Tao wrote:
> [snip]
>>
>> torrents over wireless can be very tricky.
>
> Why?

I think he is over-simplifying the problem of flaky wireless, but I
understand where he is coming from. I have discovered that a buggy
driver, or buggy firmware on the wireless card, or both, can cause
wireless connectivity problems over time. It doesn't need to be torrents
of course, any network traffic will give similar results. In my case, I
run a WAP on my Debian router machine and provide WLAN to my home. The
driver for the wireless AP card has had problem in the last few years on
and off (the Debian package, first madwifi and then hostapd). In every
such cases, I have had to restart the wireless driver to get it sort of
"reset". It has improved recently though, currently I am not having
problems as frequently.

So, yes, wireless connections in Linux can be tricky sometimes, but I
don't think that is dependent on the type of traffic. A workaround is to
restart the networking.

ever having been read.