Re: Torrents killing my connection

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 10:10 AM, H.S. <hs.samix@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 06/20/10 21:55, Ron Johnson wrote:
>> On 06/20/2010 08:26 PM, Huang, Tao wrote:
>> [snip]
>>>
>>> torrents over wireless can be very tricky.
>>
>> Why?
>>

> I think he is over-simplifying the problem of flaky wireless, but I
> understand where he is coming from. I have discovered that a buggy
> driver, or buggy firmware on the wireless card, or both, can cause
> wireless connectivity problems over time. It doesn't need to be torrents
> of course, any network traffic will give similar results. In my case, I
> run a WAP on my Debian router machine and provide WLAN to my home. The
> driver for the wireless AP card has had problem in the last few years on
> and off (the Debian package, first madwifi and then hostapd). In every
> such cases, I have had to restart the wireless driver to get it sort of
> "reset". It has improved recently though, currently I am not having
> problems as frequently.
>
> So, yes, wireless connections in Linux can be tricky sometimes, but I
> don't think that is dependent on the type of traffic. A workaround is to
> restart the networking.

i'm constantly restarting my wireless connection, unless i'm at home
with my own WRT54G.

you have no control at all on how the wifi hotspots were configured,
which is also the case of ABS Doug.
port-forwarding (or upnp) is needed for good torrents performance.
if the number of connections is not limited, the router resouces will
be used up pretty soon, especially on share hotspots.
downloading over http can be resumed smoothly after a networking
restarting, but torrents suffer more on this.

i havn't been trying wireless torrenting since i had lots of bad
experiences on it 4 years ago. so maybe the drivers have been improved
significantly and my points are just out-dated.

Tao
--
http://huangtao.me/
http://www.google.com/profiles/UniIsland