Re: Torrents killing my connection

On 06/19/10 02:02, ABS Doug wrote:
> I still don't have an answer. It would seem for the 1st time in my
> life, I've reached a point were I can't figure something out. Here is
> what I've tried:
>
> -Lowered upload speed below 50% of total upload capacity (fail).
> -Lowered the number of peers, both overall & per torrent, even "6" (fail).
> -Confirmed /etc/resolv.conf is pointing to my ISP, not the router.
> -Tried different bit torrent clients
> -Debian stable (fail) UNE 10.04 (fail) UNR 9.10 (works) MS XP (works)
> -Updated firmware
> -Downloading only
> -Uploading only
>
> Equipment: WRT54G, Acer Aspire One

If torrents were acting all weird in my case, I would do the following,
in the given order.

1. Try a "safe" torrent, e.g. of a Linux distribution (Ubuntu is a good
example). The idea is to exclude the possibility of using bad or
intentionally malformed torrents (see klistvud's reply). If this "safe"
torrent works without problems, then you know what is wrong. If it
doesn't, then go to next step.

2. Try to isolate the problem. I know that torrent clients works quite
well in Ubuntu and Debian. I use rtorrent, you can try any of the other
choices (ktorrent,azureus,vuze,bittornado, what have you). So I don't
think the client is the problem. Also my machine is behind a firewall
router (also running Debian). All I had to do was to forward the port
(used by my torrent client) from WAN to my LAN machine. This means that
if your Debian or Ubuntu machine is not running any firewall of its own,
it most likely is not the problem (since torrent clients are good too).
The problem probably is with your firewall. Try excluding that by
connecting your computer directly to your modem and connecting from the
computer directly (modem will work in bridge mode). Since your computer
does not have a firewall, neither does the modem, your torrents should
work. If this works, disconnect the computer from the modem and fix your
router, since that is the problem.

3. If the above step also does not work, then the problem is most likely
in your modem, probably in its parameters. I am not too familiar with
this though.

As an example, I forward the port (on which my rtorrent listens for
traffic) from my firewall to my computer on my LAN. I run rtorrent on my
computer which has worked with, and also without, a firewall of its own
in the last few years. In almost all cases, torrents have worked
extremely well. The only bad cases were when I inadvertently tried a
"rogue" torrent file in the days when I was new to all this stuff and
was not aware of how to find and use only trusted or safe torrents.

Good luck.

ever having been read.