Re: [OT] First computer (was Re: LVM)

On 06/19/2010 12:00 AM, Miles Fidelman wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:
On 06/18/2010 11:05 PM, Miles Fidelman wrote:
Right after that, started hacking on MIT's PDP-1 (of Tech Model Railroad
Club and Spacewar fame, but at that point free-standing). The really
neat thing about the machine was that hackers were allowed, even
encouraged, to make HARDWARE changes (e.g., wire-wrapping new
instruction codes into the thing). Lots of fun.

That sure plays hell on binary compatibility...
Hmmm... isn't compatability why we have compilers? :-)

But if the opcodes constantly change, you need to modify your compiler every time someone makes a h/w change. And you're screwed if someone replaces the opcode your spiffy program replies on.

Call me old fashioned, but I prefer true high level languages. If you
want serious compatability, use Common Lisp :-)

Nah, COBOL is where it's at for compatibility.

--
Seek truth from facts.