Re: Torrents killing my connection

On Saturday 19 June 2010 02:02:17 ABS Doug wrote:
> I can't believe I'm still totally unable to figure out what is going
> on here. Ubuntu Netbook Edition 10.04 was unable to handle downloading
> torrents.

  [etc.]

  Is this only true of torrents, or is it also true of large
downloads?  What happens if you try to pull a few megs of
something?

  I've had problems from time to time with MTU auto-discovery
and TCP frame-size negotiations, and the symptoms are generally
that small-packet, low-bandwidth traffic is fine, but big
downloads stall out all the time.

  Modern routers (including WRT54Gs) are pretty good about this,
but network drivers play a role too, and they do differ between
the various OSs you've tried.

				-- A.
--
Andrew Reid / reidac@bellatlantic.net