Re: Upgrade Kernel, Lose External Display

----->8------

> Many thanks for clues.

Hi!

I've ran into this too, and got this solved by blacklisting the nouveau
module in

/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

(adding a line containing just "blacklist nouveau"),
and adding modeset=0 to my kernel line in /boot/grub/menu.lst (I am
still on grub-legacy, don't know how it is done on grub-2 unfortunately)

This made the system boot fine, but X didn't start before reinstalling
the nvidia drivers. Doing so and rebooted I was in a functional X, just
like before the upgrade of the kernel.

best regards
--
Andreas Rönnquist <gusnan@gusnan.se>