Re: Upgrade Kernel, Lose External Display

On 06/11/2010 04:30 PM, Andreas Rönnquist wrote:
I've ran into this too, and got this solved by blacklisting the nouveau
module in

/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

(adding a line containing just "blacklist nouveau"),
and adding modeset=0 to my kernel line in /boot/grub/menu.lst (I am
still on grub-legacy, don't know how it is done on grub-2 unfortunately)

This made the system boot fine, but X didn't start before reinstalling
the nvidia drivers. Doing so and rebooted I was in a functional X, just
like before the upgrade of the kernel.

I wanted to get back to you and thank you again, Andreas. A little research revealed that KMS could be turned off on this system using a "modeset=0" line in /etc/modprobe.d/nouveau-kms.conf. However, that turned out to be unnecessary. I decided to do only one thing at a time and test. Adding the "blacklist nouveau" line to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf was all that was needed to give me my docked external display back when booting with the new kernel. The nouveau frame buffer is *not* used, apparently, if nouveau is blacklisted.

My system is working well now with its odd (at least in my eyes) vesa/nv driver combination.

I filed a bug with freedesktop.org and will see what comes of it. I do hope to be able to use the nouveau driver with this system eventually.