Re: Upgrade Kernel, Lose External Display

On Fri, 2010-06-11 at 22:30 +0200, Andreas Rönnquist wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 13:06:04 -0400
> Gilbert Sullivan <whirlygig@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > Running Squeeze with Xfce desktop environment (only) on Dell Latitude
> > D810. Nvidia video card running the VESA driver (though there's a bunch
> > of verbiage in dmesg about nouveau). System is normally connected to a
> > port replicator and DVI display (1680x1050).
> >
> > Upgraded from 2.6.32-3 to 2.6.32-6 this morning, saying yes to
> > reconfiguration.
> >
> > Upon reboot I see the normal scrolling of messages in the middle of the
> > screen, but (after populating devices message) the screen goes black.
> >
> ----->8------
> >
> > Many thanks for clues.
> >

> Hi!
>
> I've ran into this too, and got this solved by blacklisting the nouveau
> module in
>
> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
>
> (adding a line containing just "blacklist nouveau"),
> and adding modeset=0 to my kernel line in /boot/grub/menu.lst (I am
> still on grub-legacy, don't know how it is done on grub-2 unfortunately)
>
> This made the system boot fine, but X didn't start before reinstalling
> the nvidia drivers. Doing so and rebooted I was in a functional X, just
> like before the upgrade of the kernel.
>
> best regards
> --
> Andreas Rönnquist <gusnan@gusnan.se>

Thank you Andres :)

I experienced a similar problem after upgrading to a new kernel today in
squeeze, I noticed the resolution of the screen in text-mode had
changed, and X wouldn't load.
Since it was a kernel update, I'd figure I would recompile my nvidia
driver modules (proprietary nvidia driver). The nvidia installer failed
however and looking on this list I saw your message, blacklisting
nouveau allows me to load the nvidia driver again (I need some of it's
features, nouveau doesn't handle my setup very well yet, mostly 3D
acceleration).

It looks to me like the nouveau module is conflicting with (any?) other
drivers.

Regards,
Steven