Re: How to trick my Debian in thinking that a package is not installed

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 05:44:20PM -0600, "Monique Y. Mudama" <spam@bounceswoosh.org> was heard to say:
> For some reason, this just now triggered a memory for me.  I think
> sometimes when aptitude is making suggestions to resolve conflicts, it
> will un-hold packages.  I wonder if this is how your explicit hold gets
> removed.

  Just so this isn't left hanging, the reason I say this shouldn't
happen is that it *used* to happen and I fixed it.  There were two ways
you could get broken holds, and I fixed one in version 0.4.11:

  * The aptitude dependency resolver will now refuse to adjust held
    packages or install forbidden versions unless you manually allow
    it to.  This behavior can be disabled by setting
    Aptitude::ProblemResolver::Allow-Break-Holds to "false".

    aptitude will still break holds when packages are being
    automatically installed; there is a pending patch against apt that
    eliminates this behavior.

  and the other in 0.5.9rc1:

  + [all] aptitude now uses the new hooks in apt to prevent the greedy
          resolver from removing packages or breaking holds.

          (Closes: #177374, #205049, #374353, #376802, #406506,
                   #430816, #434731, #442420, #452589)

  I am not, at present, aware of any other circumstances where aptitude
wrongly breaks holds.  That said, I don't put packages on hold very
often, so I depend on users to send bug reports if they're seeing that
behavior.

  Daniel