Re: How to trick my Debian in thinking that a package is not installed

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 18:31:06 +0100, Brad Rogers wrote:

>> How can I trick my Debian into thinking that a package is not
>> installed?
>
> Your best option is, as others have said, to use pinning.  If that
> doesn't work, or you prefer not to use that method, you could
>
> 1) simply uninstall durep using the package manager you usually use,
> then d/l the package from the repos, and install, by hand, from your
> local copy.

Yes, that's what I am doing now. Moreover, I've put it on hold in both
dpkg and aptitude, but somehow it still get upgraded from time to time.

Where does Debian keep the installed package list? How does Debian know
if a package is installed or not?

Thanks

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)