Re: How to trick my Debian in thinking that a package is not installed

On Tue, Apr 20 at 23:31, T o n g penned:
> On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 17:26:02 -0600, Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Apr 20 at 23:10, T o n g penned:
> >>
> >> Yes, that's what I am doing now. Moreover, I've put it on hold in
> >> both dpkg and aptitude, but somehow it still get upgraded from
> >> time to time.
> >
> > Pardon me for asking this, but what method are you using to hold
> > the package?
> >
> > This is from my aptitude's help:
> >
> > "=":          Hold a package in its current version to prevent
> > upgrades.
>
> Yes, that's what I am using.

For some reason, this just now triggered a memory for me.  I think
sometimes when aptitude is making suggestions to resolve conflicts, it
will un-hold packages.  I wonder if this is how your explicit hold gets
removed.

I'm not sure this helps you at all, but it might (maybe?) make
aptitude seem less cruel and capricious.

--
monique