Re: How to trick my Debian in thinking that a package is not installed

On Tue, Apr 20 at 23:10, T o n g penned:

> Yes, that's what I am doing now. Moreover, I've put it on hold in
> both dpkg and aptitude, but somehow it still get upgraded from time
> to time.

Pardon me for asking this, but what method are you using to hold the
package?

This is from my aptitude's help:

"=":          Hold a package in its current version to prevent upgrades.
":":          Keep a package at its current version.  Unlike hold, this will
              not prevent future upgrades.

> Where does Debian keep the installed package list? How does Debian
> know if a package is installed or not?

I think that's /var/lib/dpkg/status

Have you looked at the pinning solution suggested by others?  I think
pinning is the approach that's most consistent with the Debian
architecture.

--
monique