Re: xorg synaptics driver no longer working with udev?

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 23:27:41 +0200, Sjoerd Hardeman wrote:

[...]

> Hal is certainly no longer working, see #567389. Yet, udev now also
> stopped working...

OK, I think I understand a little bit better how this is supposed to be
working now. Try to add your touchpad options to the InputClass section
of the file /usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-synaptics.conf as a first test.

There seems to be a new mechanism that allows for multiple such
InputClass sections matching the same device, so that its configuration
can be spread over several files, with each file being able to add
options and to override settings made in previous files. If this works
as advertised then it should be possible to add your customizations in a
separate InputClass section in, say, 99-local.conf and thus make sure
that they are not overwritten when the synaptics driver is upgraded.
That seems to have all the modularity advantages of the earlier hal/udev
methods with the added bonus of the simpler xorg.conf syntax.

I am curious to hear if this actually works because I cannot try it
myself. (My up-to-date Sid desktop does not have a touchpad.)

--
Regards,            |
          Florian   |