Re: xorg synaptics driver no longer working with udev?

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 22:06:41 +0200, Sjoerd Hardeman wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> After a large set of updates today on testing, xorg no longer picks up
> my udev rules file. A few months ago hal stopped working, as a change to
> udev was required (see also the list history for several threads on that
> topic).

I do not understand what you mean here. I use Sid and I am not aware of
any recent problems with either hal or udev. (I stress this to warn you
that I might be unaware of some fundamental aspects of your issue.)

>         Now, udev stopped working? Did I miss any change to xorg
> behaviour? I'm using the latest xorg and kdm/kde on testing.

I would start by checking:

1) Does hal know that there is a touchpad?

   lshal -u $(hal-find-by-capability --capability input.touchpad)

2) The output of 1) should tell you the associated linux.device_file; in
   my case this is /dev/input/event7. The next step is to find the
   devpath:

   udevadm info --query=path --name=/dev/input/event7

3) I get "/devices/platform/i8042/serio4/input/input7/event7" from 2).
   Now one can test what udev does when the device is added; maybe that
   command will give you a clue, or you can make the output available so
   that we can compare:

   udevadm test /devices/platform/i8042/serio4/input/input7/event7

--
Regards,            |
          Florian   |