Re: xorg synaptics driver no longer working with udev?

On 14 April 2010 16:51, Florian Kulzer <florian.kulzer+debian@icfo.es> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 22:06:41 +0200, Sjoerd Hardeman wrote:
>> Hi list,
>>
>> After a large set of updates today on testing, xorg no longer picks up
>> my udev rules file. A few months ago hal stopped working, as a change to
>> udev was required (see also the list history for several threads on that
>> topic).
>
> I do not understand what you mean here. I use Sid and I am not aware of
> any recent problems with either hal or udev. (I stress this to warn you
> that I might be unaware of some fundamental aspects of your issue.)

I am in exactly the same situation.

>>         Now, udev stopped working? Did I miss any change to xorg
>> behaviour? I'm using the latest xorg and kdm/kde on testing.
>
> I would start by checking:
>
> 1) Does hal know that there is a touchpad?
>
>   lshal -u $(hal-find-by-capability --capability input.touchpad)
>
> 2) The output of 1) should tell you the associated linux.device_file; in
>   my case this is /dev/input/event7. The next step is to find the
>   devpath:
>
>   udevadm info --query=path --name=/dev/input/event7
>
> 3) I get "/devices/platform/i8042/serio4/input/input7/event7" from 2).
>   Now one can test what udev does when the device is added; maybe that
>   command will give you a clue, or you can make the output available so
>   that we can compare:
>
>   udevadm test /devices/platform/i8042/serio4/input/input7/event7

I followed your advice, here's the output of that command:
http://debian.pastebin.com/Bft7phBw
It's quite long, and I have to say that I have very little
understanding of anything it says...
I do know that /etc/udev/rules.d/66-xorg-synaptics.rules is the file
that I created when HAL stopped working, and it was working up until
two days ago (more or less).