Re: ALSA problem?

On 2010-04-03 19:19, Elimar Riesebieter wrote:
* Ron Johnson [100403 18:55 -0500]
On 2010-04-03 18:38, Elimar Riesebieter wrote:
* Stephen Powell [100403 19:06 -0400]
On Sat, 3 Apr 2010 15:00:11 -0400 (EDT), Elimar Riesebieter wrote:
Stephen Powell wrote:
That can't be right.  What's the output of amixer?
The udev system recoognized a usb webcam as an audio device
(snd-usb-audio) and it becomes soundcard 0 in ALSA's card devices.

alsamixer by default uses soundcard 0. See alsamixer(1). Webcams
don't have a mixer device.
That doesn't answer why udev thinks webcam is an audio card.

Are there webcams with an intergrated microphne flying around?

Dunno, since I don't have a webcam. Every other cheap POS is integrated, though, so I shouldn't be surprised.

Would make for better audio/video synchronization. too.

woulb be useful for ekiga (skype), isn't it?

Yeah, it would.

"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak
or the timid."  Dwight Eisenhower