Re: Customizing the kernel installation process

On 20100403_100841, Stephen Powell wrote:
> I have seen a number of help requests on this list recently that
> indicate that there are a number of people who initially installed
> grub, had problems, and reverted to lilo.  Then they experience
> subsequent problems when a kernel is updated, a new kernel is
> installed, or some kind of upgrade requires that the initial RAM
> filesystem be rebuilt.  It does not appear to me that they have
> lilo fully integrated into the Debian package management system.
>
> I have a document on my web page which addresses the subject of
> creating a custom kernel for Debian.  But one of the steps,
> "Step 10: Customize the Kernel Installation Process", is of
> interest even to people who only run stock kernels, especially
> if they run lilo.  In response to recent problem reports, I have
> totally re-written that Step and updated the document on the Internet
> just today.  (If you have looked at the page before, it may be in your
> browser cache.  Manually reload the page if necessary to make
> sure that you have the current version.  The maintenance log
> should show an update on April 3, 2010.)
>
> I particularly wanted to make sure that users who change boot
> loaders from grub to lilo do all the necessary steps to fully
> integrate lilo into the Debian package management system.
> Some of the steps are not at all obvious.
>
> I welcome all comments.  Am I full of excrement?  Is there something
> missing?  What can be improved?  I am especially interested in
> hearing from lilo users.
>
> Here is the link: http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm.
> Scroll down to Step 10 and have a good read.  (Unfortunately, it's
> fairly long.  But I wanted to treat the topic thoroughly.)
>
> Commence firing.  Fire at will.

Thanks Steve.

I looked into reverting to lilo several weeks ago and decided that
I was sufficiently confused that I couldn't even ask well formed
questions. Now I have a feeling that maybe I could do that, but
I haven't absolutely given up on grub --- yet.

I worry about lilo as time goes on. One of the reasons for boot
problems in general is the lack of stablity in the names assigned
by the kernel to SCSI devices. Lilo seems to require that you know
at lilo-update time what the kernel will think the name of a
device will be at boot time. Grub was supposed to offer a solution.

Or am I just totally misunderstanding ... ?

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net