Re: ALSA problem?

* Stephen Powell [100403 13:08 -0400]
> On Sat, 3 Apr 2010 12:17:44 -0400 (EDT), Oscar Corte wrote:
[...]
> > About point [6], I checked again and there is only one column shown.
>
> That can't be right.  What's the output of

The udev system recoognized a usb webcam as an audio device
(snd-usb-audio) and it becomes soundcard 0 in ALSA's card devices.

alsamixer by default uses soundcard 0. See alsamixer(1). Webcams
don't have a mixer device.

In /usr/share/doc/alsa-base/README.Debian.gz is described how to set
the priorities of sound devices. To check how much sound devices the
system provides just

$ cat /proc/asound/cards

Elimar
Debian ALSA Maintainers Team

--
  We all know Linux is great... it does infinite loops in 5 seconds.
        -- Linus Torvalds