Re: ALSA problem?

On Sat, 3 Apr 2010 15:00:11 -0400 (EDT), Elimar Riesebieter wrote:
> Stephen Powell wrote:
>> That can't be right.  What's the output of amixer?
>
> The udev system recoognized a usb webcam as an audio device
> (snd-usb-audio) and it becomes soundcard 0 in ALSA's card devices.
>
> alsamixer by default uses soundcard 0. See alsamixer(1). Webcams
> don't have a mixer device.

Aha!  Good catch.  I missed that.  And now the obvious question is,
"Why?"  Why does udev think that that a webcam is a sound card?
Isn't the right solution to this problem to prevent a webcam
from being misidentified as a sound card?  Changing the priorities
of multiple sound cards makes sense if there really are multiple
sound cards, but if there's really only one then why not try to prevent
the misidentification in the first place?

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell    <zlinuxman@wowway.com>
 : :'  :