RE: How to reduce a debian system to a base system

Fri, 19 Mar 2010 22:06:02 -0500 <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> On 2010-03-19 21:26, Mike Viau wrote:
> >> Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 21:13:49 -0500 <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> [snip]
> >>
> >> I see no purpose, when you can do this at any time:
> >> COLUMNS=180 dpkg -l | grep ^i | \
> >> cut -c4-44 > installed.packages.`date +"%Y%M%d-%H%m"`
> >>
> >> Since that's obviously a pain to write, put it in an alias.
> >>

> >> --
> >
> > Ron,
> >
> > How would you revert your system to using only the packages mentioned in your snapshot?
>
> I'd take a current snapshot list and diff it with the previous list
> to know what to get rid of. Then
> apt-get install $(cat packages.to.delete.txt)
>
> I'm sure that can be automated with a shell script.
>
> aptitude might have a log file somewhere which list what you just
> installed.

Aptitude does log the packages that it installs at /var/log/aptitude. Text manipulation appears like it will have be more complex here as compared to messing with dpkg outputs. Additionally installation performed by apt-get do not appear in the aptitude log file.