RE: How to reduce a debian system to a base system

> Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 21:31:40 +0100
> From: iodine@runbox.no
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: How to reduce a debian system to a base system
>
> Mike Viau wrote:
> > In essence I would like to revert my system back to a freshly
> > installed state, without reinstalling. Ultimatly is this possible?
> -snip-
> > I was hoping to find a solution for a currently running Debian system
> > rather then to create a bare bone baseline or image...
>
> Wouldn't the easiest way be to backup all important data and
> reinstall? That _should_ give the same end result. But if that
> isn't a viable option for you, please explain why. Is this perhaps
> a remote server that you can't get your hands on, I can see how
> that would be a problem.
>
> --
> Odd

I do have physical access to the box, but it does not have an optical drive to make re-installation painless. I temporarily borrowed a USB drive that is not with me anymore. The hardware is very recent and last time I tried to used the net install disk the e1000e driver I was unable to detect my network card and the Debian setup insisted that I was to use Ethernet over Firewire.

-M

Take your contacts everywhere. Try Messenger for mobile