Re: How to reduce a debian system to a base system

On 2010-03-19 21:26, Mike Viau wrote:
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 21:13:49 -0500 <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
[snip]

I see no purpose, when you can do this at any time:
COLUMNS=180 dpkg -l | grep ^i | \
        cut -c4-44 > installed.packages.`date +"%Y%M%d-%H%m"`

Since that's obviously a pain to write, put it in an alias.

--

Ron,
How would you revert your system to using only the packages mentioned in your snapshot?

I'd take a current snapshot list and diff it with the previous list to know what to get rid of. Then
apt-get install $(cat packages.to.delete.txt)

I'm sure that can be automated with a shell script.

aptitude might have a log file somewhere which list what you just installed.

Your output looks identical to "dpkg--get-selections" without the word install on each line.

Yup.

--
Obsession with "preserving cultural heritage" is a racist impediment
to moral, physical and intellectual progress.