RE: How to reduce a debian system to a base system

> On Friday 19 March 2010 01:09:20 pm Mike Viau wrote:
> > > Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 21:31:40 +0100
> > > From: iodine@runbox.no
> > > To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> > > Subject: Re: How to reduce a debian system to a base system

> > > -snip-

> > > Wouldn't the easiest way be to backup all important data and
> > > reinstall? That _should_ give the same end result. But if that
> > > isn't a viable option for you, please explain why. Is this perhaps
> > > a remote server that you can't get your hands on, I can see how
> > > that would be a problem.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Odd
> >
> > I do have physical access to the box, but it does not have an optical drive
> > to make re-installation painless. I temporarily borrowed a USB drive that
> > is not with me anymore. The hardware is very recent and last time I tried
> > to used the net install disk the e1000e driver I was unable to detect my
> > network card and the Debian setup insisted that I was to use Ethernet over
> > Firewire.
>

> On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 13:48:54 -0900 <gomadtroll@acsalaska.net> wrote:
>
> Would be nice to have a 'snapshot' feature to revert to. I have used aptitude
> (dselect) to get close to a standard install, base + standard is not that many
> packages, no X.

Yes I agree it would be a very handy feature. What is the debian-user mailing list members thoughts on creating a feature request for such a feature.

> It is a bit tedious, but it can be done, Search for and purge xorg, gnome stuff.
> Aptitude remembers packages that have been installed as recommends and will prompt
> you to offer to remove them. 'deborphan' can help find & remove orphaned
> libraries.

I have noticed that the packages marked as auto are automatically removed when the package that depended on the automatically installed package was removed (such as the recommends packages).

I was unaware of the deborphan package.
+1 for the find and teach out!