Re: How to reduce a debian system to a base system

On Friday 19 March 2010 01:09:20 pm Mike Viau wrote:
> > Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 21:31:40 +0100
> > From: iodine@runbox.no
> > To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> > Subject: Re: How to reduce a debian system to a base system
> >
> > Mike Viau wrote:
> > > In essence I would like to revert my system back to a freshly
> > > installed state, without reinstalling. Ultimatly is this possible?
> >
> > -snip-
> >
> > > I was hoping to find a solution for a currently running Debian system
> > > rather then to create a bare bone baseline or image...
> >
> > Wouldn't the easiest way be to backup all important data and
> > reinstall? That _should_ give the same end result. But if that
> > isn't a viable option for you, please explain why. Is this perhaps
> > a remote server that you can't get your hands on, I can see how
> > that would be a problem.
> >
> > --
> > Odd
>
> I do have physical access to the box, but it does not have an optical drive
> to make re-installation painless. I temporarily borrowed a USB drive that
> is not with me anymore. The hardware is very recent and last time I tried
> to used the net install disk the e1000e driver I was unable to detect my
> network card and the Debian setup insisted that I was to use Ethernet over
> Firewire.

Would be nice to have  a 'snapshot' feature to revert to. I have used aptitude
(dselect) to get close to a standard install, base + standard is not that many
packages, no X.

 It is a bit tedious, but it can be done, Search for and purge xorg, gnome stuff.
Aptitude remembers packages that have been installed as recommends and will prompt
you to offer to remove them. 'deborphan' can help find & remove orphaned
libraries.

--
Peace

Greg Madden